Thursday, May 22, 2008

To defib or not to defib

It's been about six months since I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and started on medication. Today's the day I get my heart echoed again to see if it has recovered.

If it hasn't recovered, then it probably won't. This will mean I will have to have a defibrillator implanted in my chest, to restart my heart in case it happens to stop. With medication, I will still feel normal (as I have felt for the past few months), but my heart won't actually be normal.

I am not sure if this is like a pacemaker, meaning I can't be near microwaves and cell phones, or not. I basically put that knowledge off, because I figured there's no sense in worrying about it if it doesn't even happen. Of course, now the not knowing is bothering me.

If my heart has recovered, I will feel normal (as I have for the past few months) and my heart will be normal. Obviously I'm hoping for this outcome.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Well, your heart has improved, and you acknowledge that you FEEL normal, so kid, go with it, and accept that you feel good, not the fact that your "numbers" aren't perfect!

None of us are REALLY "normal" that's just a word. Do what YOU think is right for you, for taking CARE of you, and then you can rest assured that you're at the best you can be. :) xox

Chuck said...

Hope it is good news! I've had kind of an exciting medical week myself, but everything turned out ok. I would agree that if you're feeling better, the odds of getting good news are pretty good.

Miklos said...

My thoughts are with you. I know you'll be just fine.

Keep that positive and genki energy that you express on this blog and your heart will only get better and better.