Sunday, February 10, 2008

Japanese name-based personality tests

Kayo linked to a couple websites where you put in your name and they give you a personality assessment. I went to the Japanese one and found a whole bunch linked from it.

heatherの脳内 (Heather's Brain):



This one created an image so I'm unable to copy and paste the characters and try and figure out what it means. It doesn't look good, though, does it?

Edit: Kayo says:

嘘 (uso) means a lie.
寂 (jaku) means sad or lonely.

But she also kindly pointed out that my full name has a better meaning:

友 (you) means a friend, friendship or friendly.
休 (kyu) means a rest or a holiday.

heatherの脳内フェチ (Heather's Fetish Passion):



爪 means claw or nail.
己 is "ore", the masculine personal pronoun...I'm wondering if this is also how you specify a dom? However, I'm also seeing it in a combination where it can mean "by oneself", so I don't know. I probably need a native speaker to tell me what it means.

I'm not really sure if this is saying I'm into manicures and tough guys, or if it's talking about sexual things. I'm not sure how the word "fetish" is being used.

Edit: Kayo explains things in the comments. Yes, I think we can safely say that I am into myself. Not sure about the nails though!

heatherの前世の脳内 (Heather's Brain in a Previous Life):



賭 means gambling.
酒, of course, is sake, or alcohol.

So apparently I was pretty worthless in my past life!

heatherの鞄の中身 (Inside Heather's Bag):

鞄の種類あのブランドっぽいハンドバッグ
鞄の中身シックなハンカチ
カルボーン
おとまりセット
眼科の診察券
生徒手帳
Translation:

Type of Bagbrand name-like (?) designer knock-off handbag
Bag's ContentsChic handkerchief
Japanese sweets from 20 years ago (guess I won't be eating them!)
? (maybe something to do with music?) overnight toiletries
ophthalmologist patient registration ticket
student notebook
heather弁当 (Heather's lunch):



My obento costs 620 yen and contains rice (米) and something else. Again, it made an image, so no copy and paste :(

Edit: Kayo tells me that "貝 (kai) means shellfish".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try to explain what the kanjis mean!

嘘 (uso) means a lie.
寂 (jaku) means sad or lonely.

They aren't very good meanings but you don't need to be disappointed.
When you try to put your full name, the result is like this.


友 (you) means a friend, friendship or friendly.
休 (kyu) means a rest or a holiday.


I think 'フェチ (fechi)' was from 'fetish' but when we use 'フェチ', it means things you really get into or your favorite things so it isn't a disparaging word.

己 (onore) means oneself.
爪 (tsume) means nails as you wrote.

So for some reason you seem to like nails and yourself. (It's a pretty strange sentence, isn't it?!)


Inside Heather's Bag
I think 'あのブランドっぽいハンドバッグ' probably means 'a handbag which is similar to that brand-name bag', not just that brand-name bag. Some Japanese young ladies want to have brand-name bags but usually they can't afford one so they buy bags which are like brand-name bags.

I didn't know 'カルボーン' (cal bone?)! I searched and found it was a name of sweets which were sold about 20 years ago in Japan.
'おとまりセット' means 'an overnight kit' which contains a bottle of shampoo, face lotion, soap, etc...to stay out overnight.

Hearther's lunch
貝 (kai) means shellfish. So you have some rice and shellfish in your lunch box!
It never happens in the US, doesn't it?!

Heather Meadows said...

Thanks so much for explaining everything, Kayo! And thanks for the link to my full name...much nicer!

I've edited my post with your explanations.

I think manicured nails, or nails with art on them, are pretty, but I rarely have my nails done. I type pretty fast, but not with long nails, so I tend to keep them short, and I hate not being able to do anything while I wait for nail polish to dry...so my nails are pretty blah most of the time.

So that one was half right ;)

I probably couldn't afford a designer bag either! Or rather, even if I could, I would probably buy a computer or external hard drive or new camera with the money instead...

And yes, I can safely say that I have never known anyone here to have rice and shellfish in their lunch. Our lunches are usually sandwiches and chips and maybe a piece of fruit. I tend to like a lot of variety in my food...if it's a bunch of the same thing I get bored with eating it!