Friday, August 12, 2005

Wow, I've lost my mind

For some reason, as I was getting up just now to go to the bathroom, the brilliant thought occurred to me:

DEEP FRIED PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SANDWICH!

Picture my bliss, my friends, at the thought that I'd come up with something reprehensible and yet delicious. "Has anyone ever thought of this before?!" I squealed to myself, hurrying to do my business so I could check Google (and, of course, blog about it).

Well, apparently, they have. And not just anybody. Elvis. Sure, he didn't deep fry them, but that's a natural next step, isn't it?

Obviously I had heard of this before at some point. Why it chose now to filter up into my consciousness like a sign from god is unknown.

I don't even have any bananas.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right, Elvis' sandwiches weren't deep fried, but they were, indeed, fried.

In fact, his cook who used to make those for him just died, recently; heard it on the news not too long ago.

Sounds WAY yummy, though.. I've seen a variation in a little "worst foods" section of an online health magazine to which I'm subscribed; this person took peanut butter, strawberry preserves, bananas, and marshmallow fluff, and dipped them in an egg/cinnamon type "wash" and fried them. VERY akin to french toast, but with goodie inside, would be an accurate idea of the description the person gave of this monstrous, yes guiltily GOOD sounding "evil scary food."


YUMMM... No WAY I'd touch one in a MILLION years, though, even if someone DID make me my very own WITHOUT bananas in it...

Heather Meadows said...

Oh come on, surely you jest! Isn't this the same as if someone made you your very own Chess Cake? You wouldn't say no to that, would you?

Miklos said...

I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches! Been eatin' 'em since my early days back in Memphis.

Once in a while I make one here just to freak people out.

Then they discover how good they are and I end up havin' to make a bunch!

Heather Meadows said...

Hey, maybe you could give up that English teacher gig and make peanut butter and banana sandwiches full time!

David said...

Just fry them in a pan in a little butter.

Pretty tasty.

For the full Graceland cookbook:

from amazon

Heather Meadows said...

I want to deep fry one.

You know, like a Twinkie.

David said...

You know that in a lot of chip shops in Scotland you can get deep fried mars bars?

I have a recipe for deep fried bounty bars with pineapple somewhere (not sure if you get bountys in the US - they are coconut covered in chocolate)

Heather Meadows said...

I heard something like that once :D Man, you can deep fry anything.

We have Mounds, which are coconut covered with dark chocolate, and Almond Joy, which has an almond, covered in coconut, covered in milk chocolate. Both are the same shape, two pieces in a regular candy bar sized package.