Sunday, August 19, 2007

What is it?

I'm trying to figure out what has caused this downward spiral in my health.

My initial reaction was to blame it all on emotional distress from the fire. While that may be a factor, at this point I don't think it accounts for everything. After all, I was still riding a bike after the fire. As soon as I was able to get one, I rode when I could while we were still living with Sean's parents. Back then I didn't have full time work and was able to do things according to my own schedule, but I was also healing emotionally, and I also didn't really have a place to call my own...so I wasn't as vigilant as I had been, but I was very eager to get our own place so I could get back into the swing of my life.

I got my current job around the same time we moved into this apartment. At first I was going on walks or to the Y during my lunch break all the time. I knew I wasn't in as good shape as I once was, but I was determined to get back to it.

But something happened and I didn't stick to it. Why did I stop working out at lunch?

Sometimes I wouldn't take a lunch. And then I got into the habit of eating out for lunch, which meant I had to have time to pick something up to eat, which meant I usually didn't think I had enough time to work out as well.

Also, since we've lived here, I've only been to the Canal once, and I haven't biked the Greeneway at all. For some reason I've felt like it was too much trouble or it took too much time. But that makes no sense. At the old apartment, I had to lug the bike up and down three flights of stairs, and I did it without complaint. Here, all I'd have to do is walk it out the door. So why am I not biking before or after work, or on the weekends for that matter?

And why do my weekends solely consist of sitting around on the computer and/or watching DVDs? Why don't I go places anymore? Every Friday I think, "I want to do something this weekend," and then every Saturday and Sunday I think, "I'll do it later," and then it's Monday and I haven't done anything.

Is this horrible out-of-breath-all-the-time thing a product of my slow decrease in activity? If so, how did I let this happen?

Or is my slow decrease in activity caused by being out of breath all the time? Is there something in my environment maybe that makes me less desirous to move around? Am I allergic to something in the apartment, or at work?

I don't want to just assume I'm a victim of my environment. Obviously I'm going to ask my general practitioner about this when I seem him in another week.

This is all just making me so mad. I can't draw a clear line of how this has happened to me--how I've let myself go this badly.

The more you do, the more you are able to do. The more you do it, the more you are able to do it.

The less you do, the less you are able to do. The less you do it, the less you are able to do it.

Is that all there is to this? Am I where I am now because my laziness gradually grew? Because I stopped packing lunches and cooking dinners? Because I never "feel like" taking the bike out for a spin?

How can I correct this if I get winded after thirty seconds of mild physical activity?

I will find out more when I see the doctor again. I hope I can figure something out.

7 comments:

Chuck said...

It's true, when you do something really strenuous that used to be not a big deal, you realize how easy it is to get out of shape. Such as, my hike near Albuquerque a couple months ago (of course, in that case, altitude was a factor also.) But I did go to the Y yesterday. I look at it this way...I didn't get out of shape suddenly, and I won't get back into it suddenly...but if I work at it, I will get there eventually.

Jered said...

Between smoking and being sedentary I got to the point just walking up or down stairs winded me. I didn't have the added hurdle of weight to deal with, but it took a solid year of very slow, very slight progress before I was able to get back to the point where my muscles were able to do their expected job. Like chuck said, changes in the body take time.
Your doc will be able to help you identify the pace you should be looking for results, but I wouldn't recommend letting him proscribe something for laziness. I bet there is a pill for it, but you just gotta figure out how to lock on to your motivations and use them to supplement your discipline. It's never too late to try again, you deserve to be healthy.

Heather Meadows said...

Chuck, you're right; I was thinking that really it took me about two years to get into decent shape before, and it took me two years to get to where I am now, so maybe in 2009 I'll be back on track.

Jered, I have a doctor who is, for the most part, against prescribing medicine for weight loss (basically, he says it doesn't work. And I'm not seeing a psychiatrist so I doubt I'll be getting any "pep me up" meds.

Hmm, I don't think I'll deserve to be healthy until I've really worked for it.

I really will be interested to know if there's something I can do immediately--medication-wise--about my breathing, though. Surely even if I am horribly out of shape I shouldn't feel this congested 100% of the time, and cough frequently.

Chuck said...

Yeah, I would definitely see a doctor...there could be an allergy or something else causing reduced lung capacity and they might be able to prescribe something that will have you feeling a lot better quickly. In any case, you should go to ensure there is nothing wrong before starting any type of exercise program.

Heather Meadows said...

I saw him last week, and I did tell him I was having trouble breathing, but all he said was I might have sleep apnea. I am going to bring up allergies and asthma next time, which will be next week (not this coming one).

Jered said...

Sleep apnea, hope not! Treatment is obnoxious :( And just as a counter point, deserving something doesn't mean you don't have to work your ass off for it. >:) Speaking of, it's time for me to go run, a few more weeks of this and then I'll be able to slack off and resume my lazy lifestyle. You can do what ever you want to Heather, you just need to find your conviction. I know it's in there somewhere, in the meantime don't wallow in self-doubt. Now that I'm done saying things you already know, away!

Anonymous said...

I have read and personally experienced that the body stores up bad stuff you eat/drink in fat cells such that, when you recommence an exercise routine and start burning fat again, the stored up bad stuff is released back into the blood. This, in turn, makes a body feel bleh as it processes and clenses the blood during the routine.

This can affect mood, energy level, and blood O2 levels, among other things.

Eating out and having a more sedentary lifestyle might have allowed the bad stuff in the fast food to accumulate in fat cells only to be released upon exercising again. It takes a while, but the body can and will purify the blood of bad stuff and you will start to feel better again.

Of course, this does not exclude some other factor, like environment, but the above might have some sort of contributory effect.

In terms of motivation... that's a hard issue. I know that when I found myself in the midst of a personal crisis and I had identified that I was the problem and needed to change my habits, I wrote out a contract to myself. I spelled out what I was no longer going to tolerate about myself in terms of my bad habits, and then set forth my goals. Then I taped the completed contract to the biggest source of my problems: my computer (or at least my monitor).

Every time I wanted to use my computer to screw around, I was confronted with my contract, the words I had written to myself, and I stopped to return to what I should have been doing.

When I had finished what I needed to do, then I would reward myself with fun time.

I noticed a turnaround soon thereafter, a turnaround that continued and expanded over the next few months. Eventually, I didn't need to keep the contract taped to my monitor, but I kept it and still have it today.

The step for me was acknowledgement of what I disliked about myself and, therefore, what I wanted to change. The next part was to formulate goals. Third was to keep the words relevant by placing them in a conspicuous place, which had the added benefit of being a barrier to my great source of frustration.

My personal marriage philosophy is that spouses are partners and need to help each other out, even if it means doing things one may not like. If Sean knew that exercising is an important goal of yours and that having his company would make exercising for you easier--thus making your goal more likely to be reached--maybe he would be more willing to participate in things he "doesn't like"(?)

If my wife is on a diet, I'm not going to eat Burger King right in front of her because that makes it harder for her to reach her goals. By the same token, when my wife asked me to go to the gym with her because she wanted help with a routine and having me along was an added motivator, I went even though I would rather have stayed home.

Lastly, it seems like you've already commenced attacking on this angle, but portion size regulation is a valuable tool in trying to drop off some pounds. As the stomach adjusts, eating less becomes easier.

As others have already said, keep with it! You can do it with focus and determination. Every little bit counts, including walking around a mall, to and from the car, up and down the stairs, etc.