Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ugh, again

Yesterday started out a lot better than it ended. Mom was set to leave, but she was still in town when I wanted to have lunch, so we met up at Mikoto. She tried and enjoyed katsudon and I had teriyaki beef and sashimi. We got to say a real goodbye (I was a little grumpy and distracted that morning) and then we both headed off in different directions on I-20. Who knew that hours later I would feel so terrible?

Sometime in the afternoon I started seeing a weird effect through my right eye. I think it's happened in a mild form before. At first it was just a little dot, in the middle of my field of vision such that I had trouble reading. But then it got bigger and bigger until it was like I was trying to look through a swirling mass of water.

After awhile it went away, replaced by the worst headache I've ever had. I guess it was a migraine. I tried the only pain medicine we had left in the first aid kit at work, which was non-aspirin. It did nothing. I was to the point of tears when I told my boss how I was feeling, and she had Elgin drive me home in the Cruiser.

I took my medicine and a Motrin and went straight to bed. This was about 6:30 pm. I didn't wake up until a little after 4 this morning.

The headache's gone. I ate some cottage cheese and surfed the web and read webcomics. I think I will go back to sleep for a couple hours, then call work so someone can come pick me up.

6 comments:

Chuck said...

Yikes! Headaches are no fun. Hope the rest of your week is pain-free.

Heather Meadows said...

Thanks :)

Today is not going well so far :P I feel the beginnings of a headache and I'm really stressed out about work.

Brooke said...

Your comments section ATE my comment before I could publish it! :P

Anyway, I was saying:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. :( I hope it's just a one off kind of headache, and not a temporary side effect of your new meds, but since it might be, I'm glad you went ahead and notified the cardiologist's office. Back when I was switching from US to UK meds, one of my new meds gave me a headache for a solid TWO WEEKS (the "fine print" had said I might have headaches for about two weeks, and it was SO SPOT ON!) and then magically it was over, and TOUCH WOOD I've not had another headache like THAT, since!

I'm sorry you got all upset earlier, too, waiting for someone to come get you from work; why couldn't Sean have taken you, seeing as this was a rather unusual circumstance? Then you'd hopefully have not freaked out about work and all. And don't worry about work right now, because your boss seems like a pretty cool lady from everything you've told me. She's been very understanding from the beginning regarding your being ill, and I'm sure she realizes as well that a heart condition is serious business. Thankfully now that you know what's going on, it's just a matter of adjusting to meds, doctor's appointments and various things like that, and you're well on the way to again being the hard working and dependable employee we ALL know you are! :)

Heather Meadows said...

I guess other people are probably wondering why I didn't wake Sean up and have him drive me to work, so I'll go ahead and address that.

He hasn't been diagnosed, but it's pretty clear to both of us that he has some sort of sleeping disorder. He has a lot of trouble waking up even when he's had enough sleep. If he's disturbed before that, he will just never wake up fully for the rest of the day.

One time I forced him to get up before he was ready to get up, and he ended up getting into a car accident because he was half asleep at the wheel.

So there you go.

Brooke said...

I remember when that happened. OUCH!

Shafa said...

What you had is called an aura. It's a weird effect that migraines have on your eye. You should tell your doc about this. It might be something he can help you with and keep from happening again since you've been having more headaches. Not to be an alarmist, but it can also be triggered by other things, though they happen all the time by themselves to people (like to me, aka two-three times a month).