Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Guilt

Ever since the fire, I have felt horrible guilt.

I have always been a selfish person. I love for people to give me presents; I love to own things. When I was younger I started to recognize ways in which I could manipulate people into giving me stuff...and I used them. Later in life I decided to stop such behavior, but now I have trouble telling if people are giving me things because they came up with the idea and they wanted to give something to me, or if I have subconsciously manipulated them into it.

There were so many things in the apartment that were precious to other people. Perhaps more precious to them than they were to me. Among them was a bookshelf my mother's grandfather built by hand. I'd been using it in my bedroom back home, and when I moved here, we brought it along. My mother was surprised to see it when we were unpacking. "I didn't know you were taking this," she said. I hadn't even thought about it. I tried to get her to take it back home with her, but she said for me to keep it.

Now it's gone.

My grandmother had a hope chest when she was a girl. It was kept hidden away in one of the rooms of her mother's house; she wasn't allowed to use it. When she moved out initially, she was living at the Y and didn't have a place to put it...and when she got married, settled down in a house and started having children, her mother told her she didn't want the kids to mess it up. Grandma never got to have her hope chest.

When I moved to Georgia, many years after my great-grandmother passed away, Grandma had the hope chest brought to my parents' house from the farm and gave it to me. Beautiful, heavy, very old, it was sturdy enough to use as a bench, which I did, in the bedroom of our apartment.

Now it's gone.

My mother lets me go through things in the house to pick out stuff to keep every now and then, so I'll have a little bit of home even when I'm away. One of those things was an old mug tree that she used to have out on the counter in the kitchen, but which ended up stored away in the pantry to make more space. "Take good care of this," Mom said wistfully. It was one of her very first pieces of "furniture" in her very first apartment when she moved down to Lexington after nursing school.

Now it's gone.

When we first got married, my Aunt Bev very generously offered to buy Sean and me either a bed or a dining room table, something that we needed. We had Sean's futon, so I opted for a table. Aunt Bev asked me to go through the IKEA website and pick something. I did, and decided I didn't like any of it, and went looking around other stores. Finally I saved pictures from other websites of dining sets I liked, and sent those to her with the question, "Does IKEA have anything like this?" The picture for one of the sets, which cost at least double what I think Bev was expecting to send, had the filename "JCPenney-myfavorite.jpg" (or something similar). Bev wrote back, "Please send me a link to the set from JC Penney. It is a lovely choice." I sent her a smarmy letter saying I hadn't intended for her to actually buy one of my examples. But I also sent her the link in that letter...and she bought me that set, despite the price. This incident was the point at which I really started to hate myself for my manipulations.

And now it's gone.

Cheryl loaned me quite a few Christmas decorations over the years, and I stored them in our hall closet. I had two porcelain Santas, a full set of Christmas dishes, two Santa stocking holders, and two stockings...the original stockings from when Sean was growing up.

Now they're gone.

There are so many things that now I feel like I shouldn't have even owned. And they were all destroyed. Why was I so selfish? Why did I want to own all that stuff? Now, thanks to me, none of it exists anymore.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your feelings of manipulation aren't a product of the fire, but a product of how you felt you came to own some of the things you had at your old place.

When the gifts were given to you, they were freely given. We all like to help one another out when we can. And even antiques ought to be used instead of stored. But a thing is a thing, and a bookshelf is a bookshelf.

You took the stuff you were given - not the fire - and you shouldn't feel guilty for taking the things that people gave you.

The fire destroyed those things. The fire wasn't caused by you, and it wasn't like you were given much time to get all the things out of your place before the fire did its damage.

Because of the fire, the things you'd collected are destroyed. But even if there had been no fire, they still wouldn't be back in cupboards or old dusty rooms back at the farm. They would still be technically "gone" from where they started out.

The loss here isn't to those that gave to you - they had already given those things away. The things you'd gotten were for you. No one expected to get their things back (well, except maybe my book. :D :D :D). The loss is yours and Sean's. There's no need to feel guilty that you procured what you did - those that gave to you gave freely and with love. We all share your loss, but it's your loss, and you need to remember that when the fire took your apartment, almost everything in there was YOURS.

If you're still riddled with guilt for how you received those things, then that's something to work on, sure, but you can't tie that to the fire, somehow making the destruction of those things your fault.

There are no true factors in determining an accident like what happened to your apartment. There's hardly a way to prevent your neighbors from being careless.

To feel badly that you were manipulative is one thing. To say that it's your "fault" they don't exist anymore is another. They don't go together at all.

And at the end of the day, those that love you that gave you those things know that fires can happen, and that the two things most special to them in that apartment made it out just fine. That's all we care about.

Anonymous said...

Amen
MOM

Unknown said...

Ditto what AJ said.

Did you ever find out what caused the fire?

I looked at your photos - it WAS a great apartment, and you and Sean will create that again. It will be even more special the next time because you will appreciate that you both got out and are able to recreate it.

Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

John, you post some wacky shit sometimes, but a holiday for burned up "stuff"? Seriously dude. :D

Anonymous said...

When bad things like this happen, sometimes there just isn't any understanding it, and we grasp onto anything we can, be it another person, a feeling, or an emotion, to "ground" ourselves, so to speak. Guilt as an emotion in and of itself is valid, however, in THIS case, I don't think it's the accurate choice for your situation. As AJ said, you didn't cause the fire, and it's not like you had time to get everything out before what happened, happened.

Those things you had, no matter how you came about them, had meaning to you, to Sean, and to both of you together; the fire didn't change their meaning, it merely changed their shape. You've still got everything you had right inside you, where it's always been, anyway, you just can't physically touch it, now. You can close your eyes and see your greatgrandmother's hope chest, you can have a still moment, and remember how sturdy your greatgrandfather's hand made bookshelf was, and you can recall how comfortable your dining room chairs were, the ones we'd sit in when we talked, and cooked, and talked some more.

It doesn't matter how you PROCURED these things, what matters is that you had them physically at one time, and now you only have them mentally. The way I see it, it's only just a little harder work, because instead of just touching them, or seeing them, you have to take a little more time to remember them. Sure this doesn't replace the usefulness of the items lost, but you're not totally WITHOUT them.

As for the guilt part, I'm not going to say much about THAT, because I think AJ handled it precisely enough. Just know that people gave you things, and thoughout your life will continue to give you things because they want to, for whatever reason that may be, be it that they love you, they feel they owe you, they saw something they just knew you'd like or could use, and wanted to get it for you; maybe as just a plain, good old surprise. For whatever reason someone gives you something, they know what they're doing when they do it, so rest assured, Heather Meadows, that you are merely the special recipient, and not some "subconscious manipulator."

To echo your brother, the two most important things in your apartment DID make it out alright, and that's what we all cared about, most. I'd rather know that I've still got you guys around, than to have ANYTHING that was in that apartment, instead.

...And that's saying a LOT, because I totally LOVED sitting in Sean's chair when you and I would watch anime.. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are an amazing housekeeper! Did your apartment always look like THAT?? Sheesh, not domesticated? Between that and all the beautiful holiday cookies you used to gift us with back in high school....

::speechless::

Heather Meadows said...

AJ:

Thanks. I have been having a hard time making the distinction in my head. I guess I kind of feel like the fire happened to punish me for being greedy.

I have a lot of pride, too, which makes it simultaneously very easy for me to accept gifts, and very difficult. So I guess I just tend to overthink it.

Mom:

*hug* I love you.

JDS:

I think that writing this post and putting up the pictures have been kind of a memorial for me. I couldn't cover everything because I didn't have pictures of everything (plus I started to get overwhelmed towards the end), but I covered a lot of ground, and I think that helped.

Em:

Yeah, the neighbor below us had flicked out his cigarette on his patio, and an ember landed on his patio chair, which smoldered and later caught fire. The fire moved up to our apartment from there.

Thanks for your comments about the apartment :) It was really fun putting everything together (sometimes literally--I assembled a lot of our furniture) and arranging things and picking out nice accessories. It wasn't perfect (I had plans for a new bed and maybe another bookshelf) but it was darn near close, and I was proud of it.

I'm looking forward to working on a house :) It'll be bigger and more complex, and there will be a yard to think of...should be a nice challenge.

AJ #2:

LOL

Brooke:

You're right...this guilt might be here simply because I'm trying to find a way to make sense of what happened. Like I said above, maybe I'm trying to convince myself that I deserved to be punished. That kind of thinking isn't really productive, though, is it?

I can imagine sitting in my dining room chair. I always took the cushion off because I liked the support of the wood. Even now I can remember how comfortable it felt.

And you're right, I should give more credit to the people who gave me the things I lost. I shouldn't just assume that they were unwitting (or unwilling) pawns in my greedy machinations.

*hug*

And yes, I'm definitely missing my Aeron chair...

Jazz:

For the most part, it stayed tidy. Remember, I don't have kids, or pets. All I've got is a husband who is relatively neat. He'll put things back where he found them, for the most part. His main issue is his tendency to clutter up flat surfaces with things he brings home. So what I would do was just pick up after him. I also picked up after myself. Really, I was obsessive-compulsive...any time I went into a room, if something was out of place, I put it back/away. And after meals, I would immediately clean the kitchen (and run the dishwasher after dinner).

I was bad about routine maintenance, though...things like cleaning the toilets, washing the windows, vacuuming. I think I washed down the walls in my bathroom once. Vacuuming happened when I couldn't stand it anymore, and the toilets got cleaned when they started to look dirty. It's pretty humid here, and dusty, so the bathroom floors and surfaces tended to accumulate this sticky grime. I was bad about leaving that for weeks at a time before finally wiping it up.

I also hated doing the laundry, and tended to leave it in various stages around the apartment: in baskets in the laundry room/bedroom when it was dirty, and strewn across the dining room table/in baskets in the bedroom when it was clean. I always felt like I had accomplished a miracle when I got all of it put away. And it was only laundry for two people!

But yeah, I think I do okay, both housekeeping- and cooking-wise. It happens that my mother-in-law is obsessive-compulsive, too--if you think my apartment was clean, you ought to see this house. And she does do the maintenance cleaning, every single week. But she's just used to her way of doing things, I think, and doesn't think about other ways of doing them. (We're all like that to a degree...I mean, I cooked pancakes using assumptions based on my history of cooking in thin pans that lose heat easily.) So rather than think "Oh, she's not used to using my equipment," she thought "Oh, she doesn't know how to do this." Which is valid, I suppose. I do hope that someday she considers me to be, if not her equal, at least a decent homemaker.