Thursday, May 11, 2006

Matchy matchy

Today, Marie Mockett writes about why "getting dressed is hard".

Apparently, to worry too much about "matching", as in "matching in an obvious way" is considered very suburban and therefore not New York. Not at all.

[...]

The trick in fashion, apparently, is to buy things that go well together, but don't obviously go well together. This is how you have style, how people look twice at your clothes and admire your ability to put an outfit together. It is what stylists do for starlets, what magazine editors seek out in the never ending quest to identify trend-setters. It is what makes someone's personal style interesting. I guess that, in the language of a writer, avoiding matchy matchy is the same as an ability to write without cliches.
And to think, I just try not to clash. Remind me not to move to NYC.

(I might have to avoid Japan, too, since young women there are so fashionable :/)

2 comments:

Dyson said...

My closet is a mix of blacks, greys, and the occasional darker blues. I'm told that they match, somewhat, in certain combinations.

I have no idea how to predict what will and won't look horrible. I've had times when I've been ordered to change because I look THAT bad.

Again, this is what I'm told. I just normally look for whatever's on the top of my fresh laundry pile and put it on. <_< I guess that's a standard guy but I'm sure there are those who think I'm insane for going outside without coordination.

Christopher said...

I guess one could say that I'm pretty good with my fashion, but mostly because I have a "stylist" of sorts. My older brother Art is very much the trend-setter in our family, so when I go to buy clothes its usually with him. He picks out some things that I can put together and will go with other clothes I have. So I get complimented on my fashion alot, but its not to my credit that i dress well.

As for Japan, fashion there is kinda scary, like in Tokyo, but the people I met in Gotou dress really well for being on a tiny island outside of Nagasaki. There's certainly no beach bums there ^_^