Thursday, November 2, 2006

Want to see something crazy?

The other day on my way to work, I was headed up the I-20 Exit 1 offramp to Martintown Road when I looked to my right and saw about a bazillion birds camped out on Frontage Road.






Hey look; I have a YouTube account now. I like the fact that I can upload movies straight from my camera without converting them to mpgs first (the site does the conversion, to Flash, for me).

Check it out: at first the birds are just hanging out, chirping like crazy. Then, in the third video, they start to organize...and in the fourth, they're outta here.

4 comments:

David said...

Must be the snowbirds moving down for the winter

Anonymous said...

I like your commentary.

"That is a lot of birds."

Seriously, that was weird. Why were all those birds just sittin' there by the highway like that?

Heather Meadows said...

Not sure. I suppose it could have been a migration stop, like Cliff--err, David--suggests. I don't know why they picked that particular place. There are a lot of trees in the area, and where there aren't trees there are roads and buildings. Maybe that frontage road was the only place they saw that was clear enough for all of them.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl, this was the time of year when the birds seemed to gather in masses in the old oak tree in my parents front yard, the adjacent telephone wires, and the Carolina Cherry tree in "Miss Mac"'s yard right across from us. HUGE amounts of black birds would land in the yards, in the trees, on the wires, and swirl around overhead in large waves of black, squawking clouds. It always felt like Fall to me.

I guess that's why to see it now, I find it rather comforting.

:)