Friday, July 9, 2004

"Amerimanga"

Kill me. Kill me now.

I guess it's at least drawn by a Japanese person. I think.

Princess Ai is a mind-bending trip co-created by alt-rock goddess Courtney Love and featuring some of the most cutting-edge manga art in Japan, including chara designs by famed manga-ka Yazawa Ai.
Damn, Tokyopop is so cool. "Chara designs." Yes, we are far too hip to use real words.

And apparently Courtney Love is a goddess. I never knew that.

Princess Ai is co-created by DJ Milky, who likes to eat ramen late at night and bananas for breakfast. Addicted to digital and analog fusion, Milky is in a constant state of flux and irk. Life's one reward comes in the form of making stories, music, and lately shooting DV. Milky has composed a few songs for TOKYOPOP including School's in Session (GTO), Initialize (Initial D), and Worthy of Your Soul (Reign), as well as writing Karma Club and two upcoming Stray Sheep books. Milky is currently in development on two manga projects as well as staring intently into the vortex.
Well, at least we know that the vortex is in safe hands.

(I assume "DV" means something like music videos, though I'm really not sure. It sounds an awful lot like a drug, though, given the context :>)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add this to the list of "things I'd have been better off blissfully ignorant of".

I mean, she's only got fame because she married a guy with some talent. Her fame only endures because said guy shot himself in the head with a shotgun. Does the world really need more from her?

Sam

Anonymous said...

Interesting.. this may actually be the worst possible thing that any one could ever do to the genre.

It does give a kernel of hope, however, to people like myself, who (though japanese in no respect) believe that anime is the choicest medium for storytelling.

Damn Courtney for dirtying anime with such unclean hands, but thanks be to her for giving me hope.. if a never-was, no-talent ass-clown like her can do it, then perhaps a Canadian with a damn good story idea might some day find his way..