Saturday, October 7, 2006

Personality through implicature

Agent Anderson calls this "Antimeme", and I don't know why. But here goes:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open it to page 161.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
5. Don't search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Use what's actually next to you.

This is pretty easy. The sentences on page 161 of Kodansha's The Handbook of Japanese Verbs are numbered!

Mo kaigi ga _______ iru kara, ano heya ni _______ wa ikemasen. (hajimaru) (hairu)

もう会議が____いるから、あの部屋に____はいけません。(始まる)(入る)

Since the meeting has already begun, you must not enter that room.

8 comments:

Dyson said...

The nearest 'book' (Or nearest thing that was on my stack of books) was my binder filled with the printed version of Returner's Final Fantasy RPG that I made.

Since it has no running page count, page 161 is actually page 19 of Chapter Seven: Magic. And the fifth sentence is hard to find since it's filled with stats. But running from actual sentences in the descriptions, the fifth line is the description for Anti-Ice.

"The targets are surrounded by a strong red glow and feel a great deal of warmth in the air."

Next time I'll cheat and find an actual book, perhaps.

Heather Meadows said...

We're nerds.

Anonymous said...

Covenant was Giantfriend and ring-wielder; but it was Linden's percipience upon which the company now depended on for survival.

Heather said...

To Copy a path component as you move it, select the path name in the Paths palette, and click a path component with the path selection tool.

From Adobe Photoshop 7.9 User Guide

Heather K.

Heather Meadows said...

AJ: It's like a quiz! Ummmmmm, let's see, which book would that be?

Well, it's obviously from the Second Chronicles. I'm just going to guess...eeeerrrrrrrm...The One Tree.

I never did finish reading those.

YAH: Mmm, Photoshop goodness. Is it sad that I have never copied a path component as I moved it? I'm not even really sure what that means.

Christopher said...

My book was the Nakama 1 textbook for Japanese. 161 happened to be the chapter page for chapter 6 "daily routine" the fifth sentence reads:

Language I. Expressing a means, usind で; Expressing starting and end points using から?まで; Expressing "to whom" using に; Expressing "together with" using と

I also have the Handbook of Japanese Verbs, its so nifty.

*sigh* I need to get more Japanese practice in...
;_;

Anonymous said...

White Gold Wielder.

Heather Meadows said...

Jair: I haven't used that text; is it good? I lost my old Yookoso texts in the fire :P

AJ: D'oh!