Monday, March 5, 2007

Detective Conan 457 and 458

Okay, don't get me wrong--these episodes were absolutely hilarious, and I loved them.

But Conan made a grievous error that could have cost him not only his own life, but Ran's as well. And it had absolutely nothing to do with the black organization, so I can't even forgive him based on the momentary lapses in judgement that group tends to bring out in him.

How could he have forgotten that he sensed a group of people in the forest? Why didn't he arrange for the police to go there secretly? True, Yamamura-keiji is a putz, but Conan's smart enough to make it work. But instead he went there alone?

Suspension of disbelief is a little strained, here.

But the ending was cool, despite the almost-deus ex machina. I always love it when Ran kicks ass.











2 comments:

Charles said...

I've been wondering, when he was regressed in age, did his younger body start aging normally again, or is it stuck at that age? Because damn, going through puberty again? He's going to be doing a lot more stupid things.

Heather Meadows said...

I've been trying to figure out if time is actually passing. They do stories in various seasons, but I'm not actually sure. I haven't yet seen anyone graduate to a new grade in school, so I'm guessing that the story is frozen at Shinichi and Ran's second year of high school.

Ten years of episodes is a lot of stuff to happen in one year, especially out of order ;) It's also funny to think that when the show began, cell phones were an oddity, and now all the characters have them.

With it frozen in time like this, the story could conceivably keep going forever (which it seems to be doing).

Now, "scientifically", as far as whether Apotoxin 4869 is actually causing age regression...I'm not sure. My understanding was that it just shrank you, and when you're shrunk, you look like you're in elementary school, but you're not really. So conceivably Conan could stay the same "age" while all his friends keep growing up.

Eternal youth!

Except eventually you'd expect real age to kick in. Imagine an elementary schooler with wrinkles...