Thursday, May 10, 2007

I don't even really know what lacrosse is

I had another weird dream last night.

This time, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue had passed away unexpectedly, and this was bad for Augusta because he supported the local lacrosse team, which practiced in an historic building downtown that was so old it had to be protected by an outer building whose upper half was glass. Let me tell you, that was one cool-looking building--old-style green domes inside a dome made of triangles of glass held together by a metal frame.

(Apparently lacrosse was played on a racquetball court, in my dream.)

I started across a suspension bridge behind some guy I was working the story with. The bridge looked like the Augusta Canal in that there was grass and water on one side. "It's bad for Augusta that we lose the support for lacrosse, but what really gets me is Sonny being gone," I started to say...but the guy abruptly started sprinting across the bridge. I started sprinting too, and held a good pace for awhile, but then I couldn't keep up no matter how hard I tried.

Ahead of me, the guy raised an American flag and kept pounding away at the same speed.

It was around this point I woke up and ran to the bathroom to throw up. It was 4 am.

(I think I've figured out the nausea. Allergies! Mucus! TMI!)

4 comments:

Christopher said...

I always think of Lacrosse as being the closest thing we get to blitzball (ala FF10) without the water and you use weird net thingys. I've also had it explained as football + Soccer -feet only + sticks = Lacrosse.

Since I live in the southwest, we hear almost nothing of Lacrosse, or rugby, or any of those easterner's sports. Its mostly football, basketball, and basketball here.

I played Lacrosse in HS PE once, we stopped after one of the balls hit a girl on her boob and she complained. we ran the rest of that week around the track, staring at the field because of that one girl. Nobody liked her after that, I remember.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wouldn't have liked her, either..

I've always heard lacrosse called "field hockey." When I lived in Augusta, and worked at the blood bank, there was a mobile driver there who coached lacrosse, so sometimes he'd be talking about it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I think lacrosse has a really "posh" kind of stereotype associated with it, for most people.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've sorted your nausea, I was starting to get worried about you. Keep tabs on all of that, and if you need to go to an allergist, just let me know, and I'll give you the name of mine when I was there; you'd LOVE him, and he's great.

On a totally UNrelated subject, I've finally seen Calendar Girls. I LOVED IT!! What a darling little movie! And yes, remember a while back, you'd asked me if it really looked like that here, or something similar? Well, it DOES look like that, here. In fact, the village from the movie, Skipton isn't that far from here at all, and there's an absolutely lovely little place near it called "Settle" that's just as cute. We went to a great little farmer's market there a few weeks ago. So hurry come here!! We'll go do Tai Chi on a hillside, then go get some chips!!

Heather Meadows said...

Good lord, I don't think we'll have time to SLEEP on our visit, what with all the neat things there are to do.