Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Blast from the past

Some businesses on Computex Drive in Jessamine County burned this morning after an explosion. Investigators are still on the scene.

While this in itself is newsworthy, I suppose (I don't actually know where Computex Drive is, nor was I involved in any way with the four businesses that were destroyed in the blaze), the real reason I'm mentioning this is because of the officer mentioned in the article.

John Branscum.

Wasn't he, like, my D.A.R.E. officer back in 5th grade?

(Actually, wasn't he also our next door neighbor for awhile?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prewitt lived next door. His ex-wife is still there, so we get the glory of seeing Erica and her boy Isiah on occasion. The boy climbed the fence and played with Connor and Logan on the playset the other day.

Branscum, however, is the big cheese around here anymore. When cops are mentioned in the paper, it's him. When they're on TV, it's him. I guess he's a bit of a Police Celebrity.

On a related note, the Samaans are still all over the place. Remember the younger Mike? That went to school with us? He's in a bunch of real estate ads in the paper. They're still trying to take over Nicholasville and convert it into one big Quickie Mart.

On a bit of a sadder note, Eli died just awhile ago. He was a good guy.

Heather Meadows said...

That's right. Was Prewitt your D.A.R.E. officer? Or were any of them D.A.R.E. officers? I'm so forgetful :>

I'm sorry to hear about Eli. He was a good guy. He lived a full life, though, and he was loved and well thought of in Nicholasville. I used to gas up at Eli's all the time, and when he was there he always asked about Dad, and when I was recovering from cancer he always asked how I was.

I remember Eli's brother Mike, but I only vaguely remember the younger Mike. (Is he the older Mike's son?)