Friday, October 15, 2004

A happy day

Today is good.

I just feel content, and ready to take on anything.

It's at least partially because fall is here.

The leaves are turning, all of a sudden. But what I love the most is the slight crispness in the air, the gently biting breeze. I love that when I left work today and walked outside, it was cooler out there than inside.

I love that I wore long sleeves and didn't feel hot.

I love that I haven't had the air conditioning on in our apartment for two days. I just have the windows open and the fans blowing. I love that I can hear the water fountain in the pond, the ducks quack-mumbling quietly in the grass below my window. I love that gusts of wind blow sweet cool air through my apartment.

I love fall. I love the feeling of change, the feeling that something exciting is beginning. I love the comfort of life getting ready to take a nap. I love that I can fully appreciate the transition, that I'll still be here when the world's asleep, that I'll get to see what the slumbering giant is missing.

I leave you all with this sweet fall picture of my nephew Logan. (Click for the enlargement.) In Kentucky, they already get to wear jackets!

Logan holding the stem of a pumpkin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The little bastard. You know, we have a bit of a nightly ritual at home. When 8 o'clock rolls around, I go into Logan's room, get his crib set up, and then come out holding a blanket in front of me, as if it were a net. Then I say, loudly, "LOGAN! It's time for BED!" And he proceeds to run as fast as he can away from me. And if I corner him, he just dodges around me and runs the other way. And if he falls down and cracks his skull, he just stands up and takes off again. Laughing all the way, of course.

Then, when we sit in the rocking chair - it never fails - he continues this nightly ritual by stating in a very questioning way: "Jooosh?" To which I of course say no. Then he asks again. And I refuse. And again, and again, and again. (I will NOT admit whether or not I ever give in to the whiny little puke.)

Then we talk about the day.

"Got to see Papa today, Logan."

"Pa pa pa pa"

"Got to see the dogs today."

"(insert panting noise, the tongue hanging out here)"

"Got to see Grandma today."

"(insert panting noise, the tongue hanging out here)"

"Got to see Uncle Ben today."

"B! B! Beh! B! B!"

Then in my best low, weird, monstrous voice:

"We got to see... Mommmmmmmmyyyyy"

And he laughs.


But let me go ahead and warn you all. When you start something like this with a kid, that means you ALWAYS have to do it. At least until their short term memory (not that short!) puts it out of mind. If I don't mention the dogs, for instance, he does. And he'll start screaming "B! B! Beh!" right when I think I've had him asleep for five minutes.

Little bastard.