Wednesday, September 26, 2007

ER

This morning at about 4:30, I woke up with severe lower abdominal pain. It was probably indigestion, I knew. But it was the worst abdominal pain I can remember ever having, besides the time in the hospital nine years ago when exploratory surgery revealed that my appendix had burst.

I tried going to the bathroom, but while I was marginally successful in that effort, the pain didn't go away. I tried relaxing my muscles as much as possible. I went back to bed and did my best to lie still and relax. But the pain just wouldn't go away.

On my way back to the bathroom I suddenly realized I was going to throw up...and I did, and from the horrible burning I'm guessing it was mostly bile. I kept throwing up and it didn't make me feel any better; the pain was still there and now my throat was raw and stinging. I was near tears as I left the bathroom again.

So I got dressed and asked Sean to take me to the ER. We went up the street to Doctor's Hospital.

I was in pain for the whole ride, and as I walked in, and as I sat down and filled out the paperwork. But after that the pain started to subside, of course.

They took my blood pressure several times, and my temperature, and did something to my finger, and then they put me in a room and had me give them a urine sample. The doctor came in eventually and did a standard examination. Eventually it was decided that since the pain had gone away, he'd give me a prescription for pain and nausea and I could then follow up with my GP. We waited on the urine test results, which were normal, and then Sean took me home.

Due to the drugs they gave me while I was there, or maybe because I was just tired in general, I slept until 6:20 in the afternoon. I did wake up long enough around 9 o'clock to call in to work, fortunately.

While I slept I had a couple of bad dreams. The first one involved one of my side teeth breaking into pieces. In the second one, my cousin Carl was married and had a baby, and the whole family had moved to Iraq for missionary work, and they'd been killed there. I actually woke up wanting to call my mom to make sure that wasn't true.

Since I slept past the end of the standard business day, I wasn't able to call my GP to talk about my ER adventure, and I missed a call from my endocrinologist. Also, I need to contact the people who made my glasses about the weird imperfection in the right lens that refracts light from monitors and makes it seem like there's a big fingerprint on the glasses. Kind of distracting :P

So I'll try to get all my calls done tomorrow during my lunch break, I guess.

Another sucky thing about all this is that I was already out of sick days at work, which means I have two unpaid days this week. I could use vacation for them, but then I would have fewer vacation days...:P

My boss has been very understanding of all this so far, but I imagine she's getting tired of it. I am too.

I just want things to go back to normal.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm so sorry that happened!! :(

Some of the worst abdominal pain I've EVER had while I was still living in the US sent ME to the ER at University, at like 2am. The Father took me down there; I felt AWFUL! I was put in an exam room to wait, having horrible diarrhea and nausea, and actually DID throw up in the adjacent bathroom --and cleaned it up myself!!-- before anyone ever came to see how I was doing. Of course I was feeling better before anyone came in to finally DO anything.

I DID happen to see Kelly in the hallway then, though, and I was so weak, I couldn't get up and say his name loud enough for him to hear me! You probably remember me telling you that. ;)

Anyway, they told me mine had been a 24 hour bug, and I believed them (unless it was something to do with my gallbladder, and no one knew at the time, however, my gallbladder pains and discomfort don't feel like THAT did). I got antibiotics, and was told to go home and drink fluids, so I swigged gatorade for about three days straight.

I'd eaten at Shangrila the night before this happened, though, and STILL TO THIS DAY I have an aversion to Shangrila's food. :( That's SO unfortunate!!

Brooke said...

Hit the wrong button. Meant to say also:

FEEL BETTER SOON!!

I really think some lime sherbet's going to help. We'll even float some in some sprite, if you like.. ;)

Mmmmm, vanilla ice cream in sprite; orange sherbet vanilla ice cream swirl in sprite!! GAWD, I miss the US!!!

Anonymous said...

Some of your symptoms also led me to this info about congestive heart failure, which can be caused by high blood pressure, thyroid. Some of the symptoms sound like yours, particularly the swelling and waking up at night gasping for breath:

http://www.medicinenet.com/congestive_heart_failure/article.htm

I do not mean to freak you out or increase your stress. It has just happened so often with my thyroid stuff and my daughter's heart thing that researching it online has been a more streamlined approach than relying on doctors. Which is kind of disturbing. Sometimes too, when you show you have been researching and mention serious things to a doctor, they take you very seriously. Maybe they hadn't thought of something or fear getting sued. Who knows.

For Maryam, I went to the doctor several times just to have someone listen to her heart and say she was fine. Finally, I got the nerve to speak up, which is something that has come from having children, as children can't advocate for themselves. I said, "do you mind if I speak frankly?" After her go ahead, I said, "it seems like I am wasting a lot of time and energy I don't have dragging two under two years to keep coming here and being turned away. I want serious tests to be ordered." That's all it took and we soon knew exactly what was wrong.

I hope you find out soon. It's going to bother a whole lot of people til you have some answers.