Thursday, September 20, 2007

Inadvertent support

"Hey, you wore black today," my coworker said.

"Yeah," I responded, suddenly realizing what that meant. I hadn't thought about it when I got dressed this morning. "I'm in support!"

I suppose I am. Honestly, I find the situation to be a little more problematic than a simple "right" vs. "wrong". Injustice was done at least twice that I know of, and apparently on a regular basis (what's with a tree "reserved" for white people?) and it is important to stand up to that. But at the same time, I do not condone violence to solve problems.

There should be some punishment there, but it should fit the crime.

So yeah, I suppose I am in support :>

(My outfit is actually black and white...think that means anything?)

2 comments:

Brooke said...

In support of what? I can KIND of assume, from what you're saying, and from what I personally know, but I don't know what specifically the person meant.

I miss out on SO MUCH, not living there anymore!! :(

Heather Meadows said...

The Jena Six.

I'm not in support of them being "set free", per se, but I am in support of their punishment fitting the crime, and also in support of looking further into the apparent rampant racism at Jena High School.

This is all in a tiny town in Louisiana, but it's got the US going crazy. Lots of people from the Augusta area left on buses yesterday to join today's protest.

What annoys me about the whole thing are all the people who don't look into the story before picking a side. Some people say, "those six teenagers beat up one teenager, end of story!" And some people focus on the fact that the prosecutor was originally going for a murder charge and ignore the fact that yes, those kids did gang up on someone. Wrongs were committed on all sides, and while it is understandable to want to fight back against obvious injustice--and, I would argue, psychological terrorism--I don't think going six on one is quite the way to do it.

Apparently there were other fights, too, but I don't know how many people were involved. I need to do more research myself!