Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The best song ever

I called in and recorded this at 9:30 or so this morning, and it's only now being posted. Hilarious!

Anyway, this is a song I learned when I was younger. I believe I learned this from my music teacher, Mr. Nichols. I can see the classroom in my head, and imagine the teacher striding between the desks singing this song, but I'm not positive about the teacher's name. I had a music teacher named Mr. Nichols at one point...but he may not be the right one.

Regardless, I will always remember this song, because it's awesome. It was one of the things I was singing to myself this morning, and I thought I'd share :)

this is an audio post - click to play

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
And go out to the car and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.

Now don't I let you wash the car on Sunday?
Don't I warn you when you're gettin fat?
Ain't I a-gonna take you fishin' with me someday?
Well, a man can't love a woman more than that.
Ain't I always nice to your kid sister?
Don't I take her driving every night?
So, sit here at my feet 'cos I like you when you're sweet,
And you know it ain't feminine to fight.

So, put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
Go out to the car and lift it up and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.


You seem to not know what pitch you're supposed to hit for the jacking up of the car bit.

Anonymous said...

It's by the Outlaws, by the way. Called "Put Another Log on the Fire".

I like how a teacher taught something that was so blatantly (but surely meant in a humorous way) condescending towards women. :D

Heather Meadows said...

I just sang it exactly the way my teacher did, except I added more of a pause before the last line, for emphasis :> So it's his fault!

He didn't actually teach it...it was just something he sang randomly every now and then.

I don't think the song is condescending towards women, but the speaker of the story surely is. His wife at least seems to have gotten a clue though :D

Even when I was a kid I understood why the other person was leaving (I don't know if I assumed it was a guy talking to a girl back then or not). The teacher never explained the song. So I think the satirical nature is pretty obvious, if a fifth-grader grokked it.