Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Don't worry, be happy

Today didn't start off well.

I didn't feel that I'd gotten enough sleep, even though I did wake up naturally right before my alarm, as I've been doing this week. I didn't want to get up, so even after my alarm, I stayed in bed, not getting up until around 8.

The thought of going to work did not thrill me; I wanted to keep sleeping.

In the shower, I remembered that I still hadn't bought any soap. We've been out for a couple days now. I bathed with my face wash.

"Heather," Sean yelled later, as I was sitting at my computer reading news. He only calls me Heather to get my attention. He calls me Honey when he thinks I've done/said something silly/wrong/stupid, and he calls me Baby at all other times. Now you know the code!

I knew instantly it was about the soap, and I was annoyed. Surely he should know that I hadn't bought any soap. Had he seen me leave the house the previous night? No. And I don't have a car other than his, so I felt it should have been pretty obvious.

So I headed back there and told him there was no soap and that he should use his hand soap, and he resignedly shut the door.

Irritated, I drove to Eckerd and bought some soap while he showered.

I spent the rest of my before-work time grousing about how inconvenient my life is and how I have to do everything. Finally, in the car, I shared my feelings with Sean and worked towards a solution. But I was still unhappy when I got to work.

Then, as I was flipping on the light, I thought, We choose our mental state. I choose to make this a good day.

I know this works, but I'm always surprised when it does. After that I was cheerful, humming and singing to myself. I even called Audioblogger to record a song, which should show up eventually. :>

My day has only just begun. But it's going to be a good one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But still, it might be a good idea now that you are both working (and even if you weren't) to go ahead and develop good boundaries and divide the work at home evenly.

Silent resentment that you keep burying is never better than good old honest diplomacy and communication.

Heather Meadows said...

Yep :) That's where the feelings-sharing and solution-working came in!