Sunday, April 23, 2006

What I'm watching

Charles turned me on to Fate/stay night, which is an anime based on a videogame. I am really enjoying the series.

While the premise is similar to that of Kyou Kara Maou!--that is, there's a hapless male main character with strong convictions about protecting people who wields powers he is unaware of--in Fate, the main character isn't completely clueless. He already knows about magicians, so when he learns about the game he's being forced to play, he is able to accept it pretty easily. It's interesting to see a character understand what he's getting into, and still hold on to his idealism.

Of course, lately I've been thinking of writing a parody of this sort of anime, with an idealistic main-type character who gets killed off instantly due to his naivete. :>

I've gotten through a few story arcs, and things have played out in ways I couldn't have expected. Suddenly, Saber is conscious of herself as a woman. (By the way: intriguing rewriting of history there. I'm guessing the word 王 isn't as gender-specific as it is in English...) I was (and still sort of am) rooting for Shirou and Rin to get together, but you know how it is...a guy's always closest to the hero-warrior from the past he has summoned into present day.

Completely randomly--I was looking for something to do--I decided to try out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. O. M. G. This show is too weird not to watch. I'm not even going to describe it; you just have to see it. I will say that the narrator is awesome. And it's not often that I call a pushover who grouses to himself without trying to better his situation awesome. I don't know; there's just something about him that makes it work. It helps that his constant internal monologue is hilarious.

Actually, there are quite a few things in the series that would normally annoy me, like what Haruhi does to poor Mikuru-chan, and Mikuru-chan herself (she's the stereotypical over-the-top cutesy-shy freaks-out-about-every-little-thing type), but somehow when they all come together, they're not annoying. They're just...mind-boggling.

It's obviously not a show to take seriously.

I also recently watched the first episode of Gakuen Heaven, which is...a boys' love anime. I don't know why I did it! Obviously I was bored at the time...

The episode served to introduce a gaggle of male characters ranging from kawaii to sekushii. The main character, Ito Keita, is a new transfer to the elite boys' school that is the setting for the series. He describes himself as fairly average and has no idea why he's been chosen for the school. However, he's pretty cute. Is the chairman a pervert?!

There's also a "troublemaker" named Endo Kazuki...who happens to be voiced by the lovely and talented Sakurai Takahiro. If the OP is to be believed (and when isn't it?) Kazuki and Keita are the couple to root for. The two hadn't met by the end of episode 1, because of course they have to drag it out. It made me look forward to the inevitable meeting. When will they meet? How will they meet? Will they like each other right off?

Of course, there's a chance that either the chairman or Kazuki is really Keita's long-lost brother.

Also--there was a random motorcycle accident!

I found that the episode reminded me of Prince of Tennis...I suppose because there were quite a few guys with different personalities who were all likeable in their own way. (The guys who kept hacking each other's computers were hilarious.) I'm not sure how far into the ecchi stuff the show is going to go, but I think it's worth continuing. (Besides, I must find out if the King survived! ;P)

Hai told me to watch a show called Nana, so now I have three episodes and the live action movie, but I haven't tried it out yet. We'll see how that goes. I've also decided to check out Shinigami no Ballad, because I find the death god mythology pretty interesting.

I'm always open to additional recommendations!

4 comments:

Dyson said...

'Fate/Stay Night' I'm enjoying, but not enough to save the earlier episodes. I'm out of DVD-Rs and have been forced to clean up series that aren't good enough or coming out fast enough to save for long-term storage. It's worthwhile, though I've fallen asleep to it (And not for the same "Lull you into a sleep that I got from calm Animes like Ichigo Mashimaro"). As well, I don't enjoy the opening (though the ending's okay) and don't feel bad about skipping it.

Haruhi is pretty much the best new anime of the season, period. The way the characters mesh together, the pure insanity of Haruhi and Kyon's narrative make it all work so well. Then of course there was the student movie first episode, which was hilarious. I'm working on getting everyone I can to watch the series no, it's just that worth it.

'Nana' is pretty interesting, I understand that it's along the same lines as BECK was. I've yet to watch episode 3 (got it today), but I really want to see how the characters progress.

You might also want to check out what some are arguing as the final piece to a perfect comedy anime trio season (Harui and School Rumble 2nd Semester are there too), 'Ouran High School Host Club'. It's basically abotu a very rich school, and the poorest student in it (Got in with a scholarship), who gets forced into serving with the Ouran Host Club - A group of rich pretty-boy stereotypes (The kendo-dueling wild one, the oddly young cute one, the devilish false [?] homosexual twins, the cool calculating one and the super-rich, super-pretty pretty boy) who sit and chat with the rich girls of the school to pass the time. There's a twist though, I'll let you watch it to find out.

With a record breaking season of new Animes, I'm a very happy fanboy. There's almost too much to watch, and my harddrive and bandwidth are suffering because of it.

(Honey to Clover's first DVD episode has recently been fansubbed as well. New season will be in July O_O. If you haven't seen Honey to Clover, I highly suggest it.)

Okay, and finally... The drawing that you want to do.

If you can, I'd like a drawing of Yuffie from Final Fantasy 7. That's all there is to the request, she's my favorite character and I've been asking most of the artists I know to draw her recently. On the off chance that you don't know who she is, then I'm sure a google search of her will bring up enough pictures to work from.

Heather Meadows said...

Man, I loved the original Fate OP. Why did they have to go and change it?!

I very rarely watch an OP every time, but with the original, I couldn't help myself.

The new one sucks ass ;P

Yay, another Haruhi fan! Kyon rules :> And yes, that first episode was so confusing...I loved it :>

I haven't seen BECK.

I'll have to check out Ouran High School Host Club. Sounds amusing.

Haven't seen Honey to Clover or School Rumble either, so I'll ponder those too.

And yay! Finally a drawing request! I'll see what I can do :)

Dyson said...

Actually, I think that when Haruhi numbers the episodes wrong, she's actually right. Episode 4 was over a month away from 3, and she said it was episode 7. And that 5 would be episode 3.

And they did weird stuff during the baseball game. They talked about things that happened between Episode 3 AKA Episode 2, and this episode (4 AKA 7). Crazy, impossible things.

Whoever is doing Haruhi is obviously a genius. The show's even good enough to put up with 3 (?) episodes of missing content between the third and fourth episodes.

*Sigh* Awesome craziness. At least Haruhism is spreading around the net. Youtube has the ending done to Gundam Plastic Models.

Heather Meadows said...

Man, I love that dance number. Kyon executes the moves perfectly...with this "WTF am I doing", "bleh" look on his face. It's priceless.

And your theory may have merit...I dunno. We'll have to see in the next episode. Obviously Kyon found out a lot of things about his fellow SOS Brigade members between this episode and the previous one...at first I was like, "Did I download the wrong episode?!"

I'm so enjoying it :D