Saturday, April 1, 2006

A cute car I can actually buy

Mazda's The Slut is pretty damn cute, but check this out:

Toyota Yaris

The Yaris is Toyota's replacement for the Echo (and good riddance, I say). It comes as a "liftback"--in my day we called that a "hatchback"--and a four-door sedan.

I am terribly fond of the liftback. It's like my Subaru. And it's all modern and cute and stuff.

It doesn't come in the lovely pink (or "sakura") color the Laputa does, but that blue is fantastic.

I'm seriously thinking about going over for a test drive...

4 comments:

David said...

A girl at work had the previous generation Yaris; it was pretty nice and she got on with it well.

Hatchbacks predominate here; they're a nice practical design; you can fold the back seats down and have quite a lot of space if you want to sling your bike in or have a lot of stuff to transport or take to the dump.

Heather Meadows said...

...the bike would actually fit in that? The two-door? I was under the impression that this was a compact car.

Just looking at the picture, I don't think it would fit. Though maybe if I popped the wheels off...

Come to think of it, I haven't tried to do that on this bike. My old bike had really easy levers for removing the wheels. I'm not sure how this one works.

Anyway, I'm going to call today and ask a few questions, and then see about going over to look at the one they have in stock. It's green, but I can still test drive it!

David said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the bike would fit in that - the back seats fold down and you really have a lot of space then. Practically, it's probably quicker to use your bike rack to transport your bike, but you would get the bike in there; worst case is you pop a wheel off.

You'd probably find you have more practical usable space in a hatchback than you do in a sedan.

Heather Meadows said...

My Subaru is a hatchback, but as far as I know the seats don't fold down, so I have no idea how much space a hatchback might have. (I think the Yaris is a little longer than my Subaru, too.)

I'm hoping to find a Yaris somewhere around here and test-drive it, and at that point I can get a better idea of size.